CBD oils begin as organically sourced EU-grown hemp, that has been cultivated with the consumer in mind. Once plants have matured, they are ready to be harvested and processed. Next, the terpenes, which are aromatic and therapeutic compounds, are retained from the flowers through a proprietary steam distillation process, followed by the CO₂ extraction of CBD. This process results in purified oils, that purposefully maintain a complex set of cannabinoids and full spectrum of terpenes present in the original plants.
Purified vs. crude
CBD oils can be broken down into two main categories: crude and purified. Crude oils are extracted and mixed with a vegetable oil, but undergo no further processing. This method results in uneven oils, that sustain a dark green color and vary greatly in concentration.
Differences between purified and crude
- Extracted and filtered to remove unwanted fats, chlorophyll and chemicals.
- Natural smell and solely liquid consistency.
- Light color.
- Only contains ingredients that really matter.
- Extracted and mixed with a vegetable oil without further processing. This results into differrent oil values.
- The quality of the concentration of the oil varies.
- Dark color.
- The oils aren’t always decarboxylated.